Most Popular in the USA
WES51 Weller soldering iron - analog $ 93.37
WESD51 Weller soldering iron - digital $ 132.17
Hakko FX-888 FX-888 Hakko soldering iron $ 91.33
Aoyue 2702 2702 Aoyue soldering station $ 249.00
Weller SP23LK SP23LK Weller soldering iron $ 21.21
Pace MBT-250 MBT-250 Pace soldering station $ 2413.96
WES51 Weller Soldering Iron - Review
WES51 Weller soldering iron is solidly built. It has a very durable design and you can count on using one for several years with no problems. It is perfect for all kinds of soldering applications including repairs, rework, and industrial manufacturing. Its economical price makes it also a good soldering iron for occasional users such as hobbyist or home electronics enthusiast.
Weller soldering station WES51 is an excellent low cost soldering iron. It is one of the best soldering irons on market in the USA that can be found under $100. Weller soldering iron WES51 is best-selling soldering iron on Amazon.
And Weller company has been around for generations. Weller has started manufacturing soldering irons in 1940s. Even though Cooper Tools acquired Weller Soldering in 1970s, the Weller brand name is well-respected and recognized throughout the USA and rest of the world as one of the best manufacturer of soldering equipment.
What will you get when you buy Weller soldering iron WES51 in the USA
When you buy Weller soldering iron WES51 in the USA, you will receive:
- main power unit
- detachable 50W soldering pencil (PES51)
- pencil stand and tip-cleaning sponge
All of those tools combined into the soldering station setup, provide you everything that you need to start your soldering project.
Main features of Weller WES51 soldering iron
- 50 watt iron is ideal for most soldering tasks
- Temperature range at the tip of iron is adjustable from 350 to 850 degrees Fahrenheit
- Non-burnable cord made of silicon rubber (cord length 4 ft.)
- Temperature lockout control so you do not burn up your circuit board with a careless mistake
- Easily switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius readouts
- Electronic temperature control is accurate to within 9 degrees Fahrenheit
- Station automatically powers down after 99 minutes of inactivity
- Static proof so you do not destroy delicate circuit boards
- Fast heat up of iron from cold to hot, even with bigger tips
The WES51 Weller soldering iron comes with PES51 soldering pencil that has a comfortable foam grip that improves the ease of use and reduces heat transfer from the iron into your fingertips. I found the soldering pencil to be really quite comfortable to grip for extended periods. It features a stainless steel heating element which extends the soldering iron’s life by minimizing corrosion.
Electronic temperature control on WES51 Weller soldering iron
Another great feature of the WES51 Weller soldering iron is that it has very accurate electronic temperature control. Temperature of iron can be adjusted with the front panel temperature control knob - you can precisely control the temperature of iron to within 9 degrees Fahrenheit.
Electronic temperature control means you'll always know if the tip of the soldering iron is hot enough for the material you are soldering. It makes your soldering task a whole lot easier. In addition, electronic temperature control allows precise control of the heat level at the tip of Weller soldering iron. This means that you can rest assured that your Weller soldering iron is hot enough and ready for soldering, and at same time you know that it is not too hot to burn some temperature-sensitive components on circuit board.
If you do not pay attention on temperature of iron’s tip you can accidentally damage or ruin your soldering project by applying too much heat. For every soldering task you need enough heat to quickly and reliably melt the solder and apply it to soldering joints, but you do not want too much heat that can burn or melt delicate electronic components or circuit boards.
Safety features of WES51 Weller soldering iron
Main problem with most of soldering irons is that you need to wait for them to heat up from cold stage to ready-for-soldering stage, not only when you start using them, but also in between jobs if you leave them alone for a long period of time. For example, one of my soldering irons automatically powers down after 15 minutes of inactivity. Unfortunately, this particular setting is not adjustable so you cannot customize it for your needs. In other words, you cannot increase this time if you do little bit of soldering with a long periods of time between two soldering jobs.
WES51 Weller soldering iron has a built in activator that allows it to automatically powers down after 99 minutes of inactivity. That is right setting of this shut down time – you have enough time even if you have some longer interval between two soldering jobs.
What kind of solder tips are used on WES51 Weller soldering iron
WES51 Weller soldering iron uses ET series tips. Weller has a huge range of tips in ET series to suit all kinds of soldering jobs.
What is price of soldering iron Weller WES51 in the USA
Price of soldering iron Weller WES51 in the USA is in wide range from $ 90.00 to $ 150.00. Price of WESD51 on a few websites of major online vendors of soldering irons in the USA is:
- Amazon.com - $93.37 with free shipping
- Digikey.com - $129.00 (plus shipping costs $8.00)
- Mouser.com - 129.00 (plus shipping costs $20.00)
- Newark.com - 129.00 (plus shipping costs $8.00)
Of course, vendors of soldering irons change price of soldering irons very often.
Free shipping of soldering iron Weller WESD51 in the USA
The soldering iron Weller WES51 comes with free shipping to any address in the USA if you buy it from Amazon.
Digikey, Mouser and Newark offer free shipping on orders over $ 200.00 to single address in the USA.
The WES51 Weller soldering iron is great soldering iron that is designed and manufactured by famous Weller Company. It comes in well-known Weller-blue color. It is very comfortable to use this Weller soldering iron, even if you spend several hours of continuous soldering on your soldering task. It is one of the best soldering irons available in the USA. In conclusion of the review of Weller WES51 soldering iron I give 5 out of 5 stars for this extraordinary soldering iron.
How to use soldering iron
Safety precautions before soldering with soldering iron:
- - Keep flammable liquids and materials away from the work area.
- - Soldering with lead may produce fumes that are hazardous. Flux containing rosin (colophony) produces solder fumes that, if inhaled, can be hazardous. Use smoke absorber - smoke absorber absorbs most of hazardous smokes from flux and solder.
- - Solder only in a well ventilated area.
- - Soldering iron is HOT. Never touch tip of the soldering iron.
- - Never set your hot soldering iron down on anything other than a soldering iron stand.
- - Wear eye protection.
- - Never cut off a grounding prong on a soldering iron plug to make it fit an ungrounded receptacle.
- - Hold wires to be heated with tweezers, pliers or clamps to avoid receiving burns from objects that are heated.
- - Always wash your hands with soap and water after soldering.
How to solder with soldering iron
Preparation for soldering with soldering iron:
- Turn on your soldering iron. Set desired temperature on soldering iron. Dampen the sponge in the stand (sponge should be damp, not soaking wet). Turn on smoke absorber if you have one.
- Clean the soldering area and dirty components. All components must be clean and free from oxidation, grease, and other contamination. Solder will not stick to dirty component or dirty area on printed circuit board.
- Tip of soldering iron must be clean as well. Clean the tip of soldering iron using the damp sponge.
- Before soldering, the tip of soldering iron should be “tinned” or, in other words, coated with solder. Apply some solder to the tip of soldering iron, then wipe on the damp sponge.
- If you are soldering static sensitive components, wear anti-static protection (ESD) like a wrist strap.
Soldering with soldering iron
1) Insert component into metalized hole of circuit board.
2) Take soldering iron from stand and hold it as a pen.
3) Apply a tip of soldering iron to the joint and hold for few seconds. Make sure it touches both the track on circuit board and the component lead.
4) Continue heating and apply some solder to the joint, not the soldering iron. Heating one part but not the other will result in poorly formed joints. Solder should melt and flow smoothly onto the track and component lead to form volcano shape. The most common problems with soldering are adding too much or not enough solder.
5) It only takes couple seconds to make a perfect joint. The heating period depends on the temperature of your soldering iron and size of the joint. First remove the solder, then remove the soldering iron while keeping the joint sill. Do not move circuit board for a few seconds to allow the joint to cool.
6) Inspect soldered joints. Adjacent components may be bridged together or the joint may need additional solder for good electrical continuity.
Price range of soldering irons in the USA
Price for simple soldering irons in the USA is in range 10-30 $. These soldering irons are good only for do-it-yourself jobs. We recommend Weller SP23LK soldering iron from this category.
Price for good soldering irons on the USA market (including soldering irons that have very accurate electronic temperature control) is in range 70-150 $. This type of soldering irons comes with power station and controls for setting desired temperature. Station automatically keeps the iron tip at an appropriate temperature. Some models have digital display to show the current temperature of iron tip. These soldering irons are used for fine, precise work. We recommend Weller WES51, WESD51 (with digital display), and Hakko FX-888 soldering irons from this category.
Price for professional soldering system (rework and repair) is in wide range 250- 2500 $. This soldering system usually comes with bench station and 3 or 4 hand pieces including temperature controlled soldering pencil, hot air gun, de-soldering gun and thermo–tweezers (thermo–tweezers is an excellent tool for removing surface-mount resistors and capacitors). These soldering systems are recommended if you need to use a soldering tool regularly. From this category, we recommend Aoyue 2702 soldering station which is an excellent soldering station for most of fine soldering and de-soldering projects and much more expensive Pace MBT-250 soldering station for top professinal soldering needs.
Buy soldering iron in New York, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix